Inter Counties Cross Country Championships
Team Selection Criteria
(1) Team managers will be appointed by the Executive of Notts AAA.
(2) To be considered for selection an athlete must hold a birth or residential qualification and MUST enter the Nottinghamshire Cross Country Championships unless a written submission is made to team manager prior to closing date of entries citing exceptional circumstances why entry is not being made.
(3) The first 7 runners to finish in the county championships in age groups under 13, under 15, under 17 and under 20 will be automatically selected unless their age does not comply with current IAAF rules. Under 20s must be aged 18 or 19 on 31st December during the year of competition.
(4) The first 8 runners to finish in the county championships in the senior women’s and senior men’s races will be selected.
(5) Athletes selected will be required to confirm their acceptance by either letter or email within 10 days of the county championships. A verbal response will not be acceptable.
(6) Athletes that fail to accept selection in writing with in the timeframe of 5 above will NOT be entered for the Inter Counties. This requirement will be reinforced in the invitation letter.
(7) There will be one (1) discretionary place available on teams for all age groups.
(8) Athletes wishing to be considered for a discretionary place must submit a written letter (or email) with the team manager no later than 9-00pm on the day of the county championships. This must state a case of need for selection.
(9) The Team Manager will have sole authority on allocation of the discretionary places. There will be no right of appeal against this decision.
(10) Team reserves will be identified in strict finish order based on the county championships results. A maximum of 4 reserves will be named for YA races and 6 in senior age group.
(11) Teams and reserves together with race information details will be posted on the Notts AAA website at least 21 days before the day of the race.
(12) Athletes will be expected to make their own travel arrangements to the venue.
(13) The selection criteria will be endorsed by the General Committee of Nottinghamshire AAA and posted on the Nottinghamshire AAA website.
(14) The entry form of the Nottinghamshire AAA cross country championships will contain a note directing athletes to the website for information on selection policy.
This policy was adopted formally at the September 2016 meeting of the General Committee of Nottinghamshire AAA
IAAF AGE GROUP RULES
RULE 141 AGE CATEGORIES
(1) Competition under these Rules may be divided into age group classifications as follows:
(2) An athlete shall be eligible to compete in an age group competition under these Rules if he is within the age range specified in the relevant age group classification. An athlete must be able to provide proof of his age through presentation of a valid passport or other form of evidence as permitted by the applicable regulations for the competition. An athlete who fails or refuses to provide such proof shall not be eligible to compete. Note: See Rule 22.2 for sanctions for non-compliance with this Rule 141.
Whilst Rule 141.1 defines the age groups in a particular way, it is the regulations for each competition which determines which age groups will apply and whether, as envisaged by Note (ii), younger athletes can participate.
UKA AGE GROUP RULES
RULE 141 S 3 UKA SUPPLEMENT CROSS COUNTRY AND ROAD AGE GROUPS
(1) Road Race Competition Providers may make such age limits as they think fit provided that the conditions of the race do not contravene any rules regarding distances which may be run, and provided that the race is not advertised under the title of any of the recognised age categories as listed below.
(i) Under 13 Boys and Girls (School Years 7 & 8 and some year 6) Cross Country and Road Running competitions for Under 13s shall be confined to competitors who are aged 11 on the day of competition, or 12 on 31st August prior to the commencement of the Competition Year as defined above.
(ii) Under 15 Boys & Girls (School Years 9 & 10) Cross Country and Road Running competitions for Under 15s shall be confined to competitors who are aged 13 or 14 on 31st August prior to the commencement of the Competition Year as defined above.
(iii) Under 17 Men & Women (School Years 11 &12) Cross Country and Road Running competitions for Under 17s shall be confined to competitors who are aged 15 or 16 on 31st August prior to the commencement of the Competition Year as defined above.
(iv) Under 20 Men & Women Cross Country and Road Running competitions for Under 20 Men and Women shall be confined to competitors who are aged 17, 18 or 19 on 31st August prior to the commencement of the Competition Year as defined above.
(v) Senior Men & Women For Cross Country and Road Running competitions a Senior is a competitor who is aged at least 20 years on 31st August prior to the commencement of the Competition Year as defined above. In Road Relay Competitions Under 20 Men and Women, as appropriate, may compete in Senior events.
(vi) Masters Men and Women Cross Country and Road Running events for Masters shall be confined to competitors who are at least 35 years of age on the date of the competition.